Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Letter to Mum

Lookin' out my back window...

I have been too busy with the second job to post much, but here is a snippet of an email I sent to my mom. The presence of a computer and email at my parents' house, previously a technological blasphemy, might just make amends for 9 years of teenage rebellion, and then another 10 years of adult disappointment.

Thanks mum! I hope you know that I think about you every day - and I'm trying to make you proud - somehow.

I went to the post office today! It was about a 1/2 hour taxi ride during 2pm traffic. When I got there I couldn't figure out why no one was taking new numbers and a big lineup was forming around the automatic postage dispensing machine, around the waiting area couches. Finally, I went to the information desk and the person there was able to speak enough English to tell me 'computer error'. So, I got a label and filled it out but I will have to go back another day - hopefully tomorrow.

Are you and father still an Edmonton Journal subscriber? The EJ website has a special feature where Todd Babiak is serializing his new novel. Todd is a columnist for the Journal and I went to the UofA with him. I really enjoyed his first book. His new novel is only available online and it's free for Journal subscribers. To be honest, I consider him a literary rival even though I have suppressed my literary ambitions in favor of making a quick buck doing this and that, and mostly other things besides writing.

Speaking of which - write back soon - what's the weather like?
love,
HMB

In other news I (actually, a fellow teacher -Florida Phil) discovered that you can get to the roof of our building(s) easily enough, and it's a great place to dry clothes. There's even a clothesline for just such a purpose! I can also eavesdrop on other English teachers while they're having their post-summer BBQs (don't invite me will ya!?!) and so I've moved my drying rack up there semi-permanently. The irony is that Phil's new (actually now ex) wealthy girlfriend is going to buy him an electric dryer anyway.

Sniff...sniff...I smell galbi!

Florida Phil is the new teacher and he seems to be a decent chap. I don't know if he's found too many other people to hang out with, although since he can come into my classroom and talk about his obsession with Asian women, his new (ex) special lady, his interest in breakbeats, his dislike of all other female foreign teachers, and since I don't immediately eject him, then he often does. I can't pretend that I'm paying too much attention to him, diligently marking essays (and keeping El Capitan off my ass) as I usually am, but he doesn't seem to need an active audience. AND he burnt me some custom made Florida breakbeats. Good times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veritas Aequitas

2:50 a.m.  
Blogger PupSquadFoster said...

I just checked my mail. no new mesages

2:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home