Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Road Goes Ever On

This is my classroom. It is about the same size as my apartment, which gives you an idea about the source of some of my discipline problems. That is, classroom discipline problems, not personal discipline problems, yet I have plenty of those too. :P


Ok, with this photo as inspiration for getting out of the ESL teaching kharmic cycle, let this be an open forum for brainstorming on The Future of Cal-mo-dee. Maybe it will be helpful for other folks lost in the English Teacher eddy.

Option 1: I have been toying more and more with getting an MBA from the New Taiwan University's College of Management. An MBA appeals to my entrepreneurial bent, it's a logical next step at my age, although maybe a bit of a big step considering all the lost time of my youth. Some CV embellishment would be necessary. I am keen to take the GMAT and I've even procured a few study aids. Getting the MBA from NTU has the advantages of being
a) extremely cheap - only 3000 US dollars for two years(!) Incredibly, although it's a new program, it's still rated 25th out of Asian schools.
b) I could also pursue some Chinese studies, and even at my advanced age, learning new languages is highly appealing to me right now.
I would probably need to work in Korea for another year to save up enough money to fly over and spend two years without income. I am guessing 12 k US all together.

The disadvantages of this scheme - I don't know precisely what I would do once I get back home. The MBA would help me get a job, but what kind of job? The NTU English MBA isn't accredited by any big org but they're working on it, and it is from an internationally reputable school. I hope it would be seen as a logical choice for a student of Asian studies, but, I don't have any previous official language study qualifications.

Option 2: try out for the Suwon Blue Wings. Become a professional footballer maybe the first (?)to start their career beyond 20s. Then move to Read Madrid and fill the gap in the roster caused by Michael Owen's 17 million pound transfer to Newcastle.

Option 3: Go home and resume my old working life with Frankie Five Fingers - try to get a job building websites or writing for websites. The advantage of this scheme is that it would be comfortable - and there is no better person to work with than Frank. The disadvantages are that it would be difficult and mabye not play to my strengths. If it didn't work for me the first five years I should probably try something a bit different. A variation of this scheme is trying to get a job with interesting companies like EA as a GUI artist / designer. I could probably pull it off if I work hard. Again, I don't know how much of a future there would be in that.

Option 4: Continue teaching and try to get work editing - while submitting as much of my writing to as many interested parties as possible. This has the advantage of being an entirely new type of endeavour, but that is also its disadvantage - starting new, no experience, no joy. This is a dangerous plan since the longer I teach, the more difficult it will be to stop. Or to ever try something else.

Speaking of writing - I'm starting the book - will publish in installments on the super secret site. Ask for access if you want to read it. No, it's not the story of an English teacher who moves to Korea.

Hmm I thought I had more ideas than this. Could this sort of ..mental inflation... be the cause of my deplorably bad life strategies? Please feel free to comment and add your advice, bitchslaps and whatnot. Next post - some notes from the Wee Booke of Goales - a compilation of the aspirations and failures that made me the twisted shard of a man you read today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like option 2... it is the most rebellious.

3:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just cruising the blogs, and came across yours. You sound like a friend of mine- only smarter. Here's my thought after spending way too much time in your archive: If you wanted to be successful you would be. Cut the crap for the love of Frank and get on with it!

8:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Option 3!

12:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home