Friday, October 14, 2005

Fire in the Night

Sometimes insomnia has it's privileges.

I was cooking up some salmon for a late-late-late night snack when I heard a muffled thump. It sounded like something had landed on the floor outside, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. Then I thought - with the windows closed, such a noise would have to be REALLY loud. I was also playing music at the time (Futurheads) so I looked out the window, and I could see reflected in the building across the street - a blazing inferno! It looked like a solid wall of flame, then I heard another blast, and realized it was an explosion.

I should probably learn a little more about my camera.

I whipped on the running shoes and some trousers and went outside. There were already some local folks taking pictures and video (camera! I ran back) but by the time I came down a second time this was the best shot I could get. I was amazed by the speed and response of the local fire brigade. In a country that is all hustle and bustle, but sometimes light on actual competence and active decision-making, it would seem that the fire department are spot-on. Top marks for keeping the building next door from going ablaze, and consequently, safeguarding my "life" and "possessions".

It was good to know that, if this had been an actual emergency, I would have already been awake, and at least had a better chance than most people of making it out with the laptop. Yes, the laptop.

I think it was caused by a dumpster fire that got OOC fast - I didn't want to get too close or interfere with the cleanup but it clearly wasn't a building on fire - spontaneous combustion strikes again? Possibly the garbage collection is not as efficient as the fire-fighting in these parts, but since I can't actually talk to anyone who would know, this will probably forever be a bit of a mystery.

1 Comments:

Blogger Burnt Toast said...

Better than having to carry your old 'puter down into the freezing cold, while Claire clings miserably to the inside of my coat.

9:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home