Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ambassador McFatty

This was originally a comment in BlueShoe's blog, but it's more interesting (and shorter) than most of my blog posts, so I reposted here.

It's seriously embarrassing how our major visible contribution to other cultures is fast food. Koreans totally identify 'Dunkin Donuts' and MacDonalds and 'Burger King' and Starbucks with the USA and North America. I think it totally sucks. I hardly ever eat fast food here anymore because I'm embarrassed to be a foreigner in these places.



I also hate how these 'restaurants' are used as landmarks for every map that is intended to be used by non-Koreans. For one thing - they are a supernumerous blight on every city so they aren't reliable as landmarks. Oh, is this the Subway (sandwich shoppe) that I'm supposed to turn at, or is it the one to my left or the one right across the freakin' street???

Why couldn't we (Namerica) have exported something more enlightened? Why did we create this massive crap as our identity?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more... Europe is infested with fats food (appropriate typo). I was deeply disturbed how Rotten Ronnies, in particular, was always a 2 minute walk in any direction from any place in any major city.

I could not escape the golden artery clogging arches without driving deep into the Sovietesque countryside towns of the Czech Republic.

Even more bizarre was viewing pictures of buildings from war time in a museum and then walking outside to see the same once historical building has become a Starbucks/McDonalds/KFC.

Oh.. the horror.

3:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home