Sunday, July 17, 2005

Dimitri in Seoul

edit: I wanted to show you some cool photos today but the camera is off-line. I suspect a faulty usb cable. I suspect it was Loo-ni's fault (the person who 'borrowed' my camera last week).

I went to see Dimitri in Paris in Seoul at M2 last night. It was the second time in as many weeks that I have been to that club, and frankly I'm not entirely sure why. I go with Tall Paul, a cool guy from Winnipeg who is, I don't want to say desperately, but lustily pursuing Korean girls. We are neither of us having any sort of success.

A few other teachers at school tried to persuade me to go to Mudfest, a giant bacchanal in reverence to mud, a big beach party or something like that. I couldn't relinquish a whole weekend to frenzied partying, and frankly, I don't know how any other teacher manages it.

Dimitri was awesome, but like all live shows this one fell short of what I remember hearing on the computer. M2 is a typical house music club, dark and full of beautiful people, both Korean and not, but is it really worth 20k won to stomp your feet in somewhat agitated confusion for six hours? Actually, maybe.

We also went to a hiphop club upstairs, which was smaller, but maybe more fun. They were playing all sorts of old skool standards from the Beastie Boys to House of Pain to Cypress Hill. I have no earthly business being in these clubs, at my age, but I'm still not the oldest foreigner there, and let's not forget why we go to these places - because we are silly.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forever young- go to shows no matter what your age. It's not the people (although they can make or break a gig sometimes)but the music. Ah the music, that's what everybody is there for, no?

2:23 a.m.  
Blogger Vivec said...

Actually Paul and I were pretty intent on hitting on Korean girls. But we suck at it.

3:32 a.m.  
Blogger The Boomerang said...

Why? C'mon Cal, you're starting to depress me... :-(

Remember that sex without a brain is crap, and you can't make love to a woman with whom you can't communicate, unless you are deeply in love with Korean culture and already speak the language fluently. No wonder you suck, man. Beware, you're setting yourselves up to be royally used, if you haven't been already.

Sorry sorry, I'm sounding like a bitter old lady... I'm off to drink wine and sing mariachis.

4:02 a.m.  
Blogger Vivec said...

hehe - well, I did want to have this conversation with you Miss L, but not in the lowly comments winda'!

I will devote a post on the theme of transient affection and crushing K-style isolation, and the effects on a variety of personalities in the coming weeks.

4:19 a.m.  
Blogger The Boomerang said...

Oh I know all about it, babes. It's just that we lassies can see into the long term, very quickly.

Guys can be there for years before they realise what the deal is.

4:34 a.m.  
Blogger Nate said...

I'm seeing a definite silliness factor if you're a foreigner teaching here.

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger The Boomerang said...

Where, precisely DID you want to have this conversation? My curiosity knows no bounds.

As for Anonymous, there IS something incredibly sad about a man in his fifties skirt chasing in the clubs. Sorry, but there is.

11:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah but did I mention skirt chasing? He went to see bloody Dimitri in Paris!

Do you not see that part of the problem is seeing far into the future. When [she] has the future sorted and compartmentalized and it doesn't go her way-oh oh, prozak here we come!

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Vivec said...

Nate: Am I silly for being a teacher or silly for being a teacher who frequents nightclubs, or silly for being a foreign teacher who frequents nightclubs where Korean women are reputed to behave non-traditionally (yet in a way that predates tradition)? I am innocent on all counts - this issue demands another post!
ps. I hope no one is accusing each other of being over fifty. That's offside.

12:22 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

1:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be fifty in twenty-three years. I predict that in 2027 I will be teaching in Mr. Kim's no-good hakwon (illegally) for 1 million won a year whilest drinking soju as I will no longer have teeth, the ability to process solid foods, or the funds to pay for it. One can dream. ;)

10:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home