Monday, June 27, 2005

Osaka? Yousaka!

this was written two days ago in Osaka. I couldn't read 'publish post' and 'save as draft' since it was in Japan-letters -ed

The Japanese keyboard is an amalgamation of every kabbalic symbol devised by cults both dark and light so if there are some stray keystrokes here and there - let:s say it gives the text some local flavour.

I had a bad feeling that something would go wrong today, can you guess what happened? Yes, I missed my flight during the visa run. I thought 3 hours lead time for a 10am monday flight would be enough, but apparently it is not, not by an hour. \Did you hear that internet people? If you are going to INcheon airport from Jangahn you need to allow at least 4 hours by taxi and limousine shuttle. 4 freaking hours\!!!

With my head already on the chopping block I had to lie like I:ve never lied before. I told black filthy lies, blamed it all on the airline and then redoubled my lies with twice the ferocity, using the best dad voice I could muster until finally the airline and hagwon were suspicious, but baffled enough to let me stay here overnight. \an extra day in Osaka might be interesting, but not a great career move - sound familiar?

First observation - the Japanese are short! I thought it was just Korean propoganda, but they really are a race of lissome cute little people. A lothlorien of the Orient, a wee folk who will never apologize for enslaving women for sex during wwII. No wonder their halfling enchantments hold men like Big Duke in thrall. \the hobbitsian character of every public space and high tech doodads like the hand dryer that :sucks: your hand dry makes it like..well, like Japan.

Speaking of wwII, I am reading *My Country* by Pierre Berton and it is superb! \every story is a nugget of Canadiana gold - crafted so as to take out all the boring parts, and leave the violent, gross, erotic, heart-warming, inspiring and just plain cool things that makes History so wondrous. Sort of like a Canadian History bathroom book, but better. After every chapter I wanted to call up Ken and Gavin, Mr. Canada, and Aaron and just talk. But that:s an itch I can:t scratch, melancholy sets in. These stories need to be shouted from the highest Regina bungalow, to the lowliest Dene hall so start spreading the word. Berton rocks.
Thanks to Bruce, my patron as usual, for leaving the book behind - you will not be left behind, my friend if you tell me where to find you.

as I head to Nankai to try to find a capsule hotel that charges less than 100$ a night I leave you with the words of Billy Bishop, my aforementioned link to wwII.

Three more pilots lost today. all good men. Oh, how I detest the huns. I loathe them with all my heart. they have done in so many of my best friends. I:ll make them pay, I swear.
-B. Bishop

I:ll never forget what they did to our boys
-gramma Wallace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home