Saturday, April 23, 2005

Xmas in April

After weeks of research I am going to Yongsan tomorrow morning to pick up a laptop and a digital camera. (and an Xbox) -ed
I can barely contain my excitement - after proving that four months of computer abstinence drastically improved my life and lifestyle, I am once again ready to poison the future with a virtual tech cokefest. Laissez les bons temps gaspiller!
The good news is that this blog's quality of writing (in terms of comprehensibility) should improve since I won't have to compose every fortnight's thoughts into a five minute varorium.

A most enjoyable email correspondence continues with Mlle Burnt Toast (A) over the last few days and she stayed true to her unselfish roots by sending a superb care package to the school. It included a variety of literary works pertinent to our age and culture - Harper's, the Weekly World News, Xclaim Music review and the like. There was also a new sony discman (!) that works wonderfully and came with a complement of home-burnt NEW music! Let me say - well done Mlle A! You know that musical nostalgia is a tempting but dangerous stagnation - the only good music is made by kids.

The one drawback to my new toy is that it came with insane cybernetic earplugs that are supposed to fit snugly around the contours of one's ears to provide an undisturbed concert even while, say, jogging or performing boudoir acrobatics. However my elfin features present such an absurd ergonomic challenge to any equipment manufacturer that I almost prefer unadorned earbuds. The clips pinch where they should not, and they flex away from my gigantic nordic melon at times so that the only way to hear the music is to crank it, which I should be doing anyway I suppose.

I have listened to the Killers - Hot Fuss on repeat for a week, and I have to say this new album is pretty good, yet it is paradoxically imitative of old, 80s and 90s britpop. There is wayyy too much ripping-off of the Strokes, but if you like the Strokes, and who doesn't, then this is really an enjoyable companion piece, and only an annoyingly rabid fan would chafe at having twice as much of one type of music making the rounds. As Johnny Loftus describes it -"[this is] lifestyle music for sheltered bloggers and female professionals who still wear cool hairstyles." I guess that would describe me to a Long Island Iced 'T'.

This weekend I went to visit a colleague, Stevie Woods (Tiger) at Soon Cheon Hyang hospital. He is deathly ill with pneumonia and has not told his family (upright southern black baptists) for fear of worrying them something fierce. He is noble if pious, and sings a good Brian McKnight at the noraebang, so I brought him a copy of Innvervisions and loaned him the Calcan 0.9 (the Discman - Ange - you know I only just now got the joke there :p) until he gets better. I think it is somehow so cosmically, karmically perfect that the good influences of GM, A and my own maudlin sentimentality will (hopefully) bring a smile to someone they don't know. So, the music reviews will be delayed for a while - but for a good cause.

1 Comments:

Blogger Burnt Toast said...

Here's to friends, and friends of friends: Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!
~
I had a feeling about the headphones like I could never wear those I hope they work out...
~
I heard Yellow Submarine last night from start to finish. The firsts never stop,
A

1:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home