Friday, December 02, 2005

Nuguya?

So, the other day a wacky S-4 student snuck into my S-1 class the other day, and even crazier, I didn't kick her out immediately. In fact I would have let her stay in the class for the duration, but the teacher whose class she was skipping thought to ask WHERE THE HELL IS MY STUDENT? Another one of my students, released into the hall for a bathroom break, blew the whistle on the refugee. In my defence, I thought she might have a calming influence on the friend she was visiting.

I didn't even ask too many questions when she came in, and it never even dawned on me that she might be skipping. SKIPPING, SWEET JEBUS, this is Korea. Students do NOT skip.

It shows that either 1. I was born without any trace of the common-sense gene or 2. I am completely in overdrive mode and I couldn't give a rats arse what happens between now and Christmas. It might be that and a combination of 3. I like to experiment with my own life and the lives of others, and I don't really worry about the repercussions. I'm the easiest-going mad scientist ever born.

They're going to take my license for this, goddammit! Oh wait...

Initially, the school FREAKED about this, naturally, since their rep is likely to take a hit somewhat along the lines of "Why don't teachers know who is supposed to be in their class? Where was my daughter for an odd hour?"

In the end though, she's been suspended for a month, and since my own remaining term is less than that, I didn't even get a slap on the wrist. Month 12 teacher is invincible. Note to self: steal the videocamera and a few boxes of markers.

It's episodes like this one that make me realize my own career is mostly a sequence of disappointed bosses, funny anecdotes, and hastily burnt (and buried) bridges. Also by spreading myself too thin, trying to do too many things at once (work 9-5, teach privates, make Canadian websites, learn Korean, play video games all night, booze and whore) I don't actually do anything well, and I never will if I keep this up.

The Last Head Teacher (25!) has been with the company for only two years and he's already been offered a University job, a head-office job and he's got a kickazz CV with plenty of kudos cuz he's hella responsible, has a dry professional daytime demeanour and he has little imagination about what he could do with his free time. Admittedly, I think he's naturally a better teacher than I am, but still, I could pick up some tips.

Tip for y'all - if you see a student that isn't yours, kick them to the corridor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home